What is United Airlines Baggage Policy?
Carrying luggage on a flight may be tiresome as a passenger may face several restrictions. Passengers may get confused about what to carry and what not to carry onboard a flight. Every airline has created its own policies on baggage. You can check multiple bags for free with some airlines, while you may get charged just to bring a carry-on. A flight passenger must be familiar with the baggage policy and the airline’s guidelines to avoid unexpected fees.
United Airlines' baggage policy is a well-maintained set of guidelines for flyers. Travelers are allowed to bring one full-size carry-on bag and one personal item for free onboard a United flight. It is to be noted that carry-on rules may be different for various flights operated by United’s partner airlines, including United codeshare flights.
United is the epitome of luxurious air travel with plenty of flight deals. Booking a United Airlines flight ticket ensures a comfortable onboard experience for all its customers. The airline has gained a reputation over the years for its excellent flight service and transparent policies. Here is the baggage allowance permitted per customer.
Carry-on Luggage Allowance
- One full-sized carry-on bag plus one personal item is allowed on board a United plane.
- The carry-on should be able to fit completely in the overhead bin.
- The maximum dimensions for a carry-on must not exceed 9” x 14” x 22” (22cm x 35cm x 56cm) including handles and wheels.
Personal Item Allowance
- Passengers are allowed to bring a personal item for free with their carry-on bag.
- It must be able to fit completely underneath the seat in front of the traveler.
- The maximum dimensions allowed for a personal item onboard the United flights must not exceed 9” x 10” x 17” (22cm x 25cm x 43cm).
- Personal Item includes a handbag, laptop, a small backpack, etc.
Checked Baggage Allowance
- A standard checked bag must have a total measure (length + width + height) of 62 inches on the outside, including handles and wheels.
- The weight of the checked baggage depends on a passenger’s cabin and Premier status at check-in.
Weight limits by class of Service
- For United Economy: 50 pounds (23 kilograms)
- For United Business, United First, United Polaris® business class: 70 pounds (32 kilograms)
Weight limits by MileagePlus Status
- For Premier Silver, Premier Gold, Premier Platinum, and Premier 1K: 70 pounds (32 kilograms)
- For Star Alliance Gold: 70 pounds (32 kilograms) in Business Class and 50 pounds (23 kilograms) in Economy Class.